<=>

November 16, 2011

Today I have made a big decision.

Unfortunately I can't talk about that yet. What I can talk about instead is CLUTTER. One of my new year's resolutions was to be better with money. I didn't realise at the time, but what I actually wanted was to own less stuff. Mattgreen and I have been gradually getting rid of things, but it's an incredibly slow process. I intend to become even more ruthless until we have as little as possible left.

This is a really inspiring five minute TED talk about not needing boatloads of possessions. And there's lots of inspiration on the internet, including this and this and this.

I've decided that I don't want anything for Christmas this year. I actually want the opposite, I want to get rid of things, I want to have less.

I'd honestly be quite happy to wake up on Christmas morning and have nothing to open. It's really a lot more fun watching Izzy open all her presents. REALLY, HONESTLY, I'M NOT JUST SAYING THAT. But if you really want to buy something for me, please consider these:

1. Donations to charity. I particularly support Water Aid, APNI and the Fistula Foundation (warning, that link may make you cry. Or maybe I've got PMT. Whatever).
2. Consumables, preferably home-made. I particularly like gifts which get used up, e.g. a jar of homemade jam or a handmade soap.
3. Useful home made gifts, like a purse or a cushion.
4. Practical gifts - such as a watering system for the garden, a non-stick pie tin, a sports bra, luggage tags. Boring, I know. But at least they will actually be used.
5. John Lewis vouchers (to be spent on practical things)


In the first link of this post, I mention an orange silicone stirrer I'd purchased that day. I have never used that item. I actually don't even know where it is. This has to stop. Our house is full of this sort of crap. I don't want to live like this anymore.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web counter