The black of my stock pot matches the black of my soul

January 16, 2010

 


This week:

1. I lost out on an ebay auction for the Smythson organiser I've been lusting after since last August. I had it on my watch list but I was upstairs reading to Izzy and forgot to bid, and then it sold for less than 50% of retail.

2. In that game I go on about all the time, each player has a friends list. This allows you to stay in touch with people you've met during your adventures. You can send them messages and meet up with them.

A few weeks ago I met a guy called Logan. He was really nice and we fought together for a while and chatted. The other day I sent him a message and he invited me to join him fighting a boss monster. He'd switched off teleports but he turned them back on so I could join him. We chatted for half an hour or so and we got on really well. We talked about our other characters, about pvp, about strategy. He told me his real name and asked what mine was. You know when you just click with someone? It was like that. Then we said goodbye, nice playing with you, see you soon etc and went our separate ways.

Then yesterday I was looking through my friends list when I noticed he wasn't on there anymore. People don't just vanish - so basically he must have deleted me.

I know I shouldn't care that someone I've never met and whom I've only played with twice has deleted me. I know that in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that important. But it bothers me. Did he not like me? Did I annoy him? Did I do something wrong? Or did he delete me by accident? Whatever the reason, it's upset me far more than it should.

3. Last night I got some chicken bones out of the freezer I'd been saving to make stock. This morning I cut up carrots, turnip, onion and garlic. I used up all my last bits and pieces of herbs. I skimmed the stock and kept an eye on it for a couple of hours while doing other chores in the kitchen. It was going to be a basis for the chicken soup I'm making to use up the spare from our roast tomorrow.

Then I wandered off. A couple of hours later I said to Mattgreen, 'what's that smell?' The stock had burned dry. All my time and effort and four hours of gas have been wasted, we have no soup base and my pot (which is part of a set we got as a wedding present) is fucked beyond repair.


I know this is pretty bloody self indulgent when people on the other side of the world have lost their children and their homes and their lives. But you know what, I bet most people couldn't have found Haiti on an unmarked map before the earthquake. And 80% of people in Haiti already lived in absolute poverty before the quake. But nobody gave a shit then did they? Because they were too busy worrying about their own equivalent of organisers and online game rejection and stock pots...

*rolls eyes*
Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web counter