Fifteen singers

January 31, 2011

This was originally posted on Facebook in response to a request, but I thought it was interesting enough to repost here:

Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen singers you've heard that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.

1. Isabel Monteiro from Drugstore
2. Thom Yorke from Radiohead
3. Patrick Duff from Strangelove
4. Karen Carpenter from the Carpenters
5. Jim Morrison from the Doors
6. Robert Smith from The Cure
7. Gordon Gano from The Violent Femmes
8. Morrissey
9. Mickey from Scorpio Rising
10. Adam Duritz from Counting Crows
11. Suzanne Vega
12. Jarvis Cocker from Pulp
13. Courtney Love from Hole
14. Jake Shillingford from My Life Story
15. Liz Phair
16. Brandon Flowers from The Killers
17. Kate Nash
18. Eminem
19. Neil Hannon from The Divine Comedy
20. Stephen Jones from Babybird
21. Alex Turner from Artic Monkeys
22. Aimee Mann

I'm not sure if this isn't just a list of "Music which has influenced my life", although I have tried to pick out distinctive singers (no Lily Allen or Lady Gaga on this list, even though I love them both).
Also, it is more than 15 people. Oh well.

I got up to #11 on my own before resorting to iTunes to see who I'd forgotten!
I think I may have to make up a playlist...

--------------------------------

After posting the above, I made the playlist. I always try to choose obscure tracks for my playlists as I'm severely prone to overlistening favourite tracks and ruining them forever. The resulting playlist is eclectic to say the least. I've been listening to it at the gym/walking the dog for the last couple of days and it's been great hearing some of my greatest musical influences again. Some, like Scorpio Rising, I had to fish out ancient CDs and burn them. Others, like The Doors and The Carpenters, I had only ever owned on vinyl. I no longer own a record player so I had to resort to buying tracks off iTunes. It's been a long time since I've listened to the live version of Gloria.



I did have to delete Eminem from the playlist after discovering I can no longer bear to listen to him. He's so full of bitterness and hate... I don't need that in my life. I used to like listening to Eminem when I was pregnant in the car with the windows down outside Waitrose. I think I thought I was challenging social perceptions, man. As I've got older, I've discovered that social perceptions are only as important as you think they are. And the older I get, the less I care.

Gah. I'm pretty sure it's a slippery slope from having that sort of attitude to being the kind of OAP who flashes their purple knickers on the bus.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web counter