More about dogs

January 17, 2006

After my recent post about wanting to get a dog, I had an email suggesting this website which helps you choose which breed of dog will fit in with your lifestyle (Thanks Karen!)

I have spent many happy hours searching through all the dog breeds trying to decide. Matt's basset hound is totally out of the question as it cannot be left alone - they suggest you get two! Yeah right!! I don't think so!

Like Soraya, I love wolf-y looking dogs, so I discovered several more as well as the Samoyed that I thought were gorgeous, including the Alaskan Malamute, the Siberian Husky and the Eskimo Dog. Sadly, all of them are utterly impractical. I can't get a dog that needs 90 minute walks every day, or is a pack animal and needs an experienced trainer, or is potentially aggressive. I mean - I love the idea of these breeds - but realistically it wouldn't be fair on the dog or the rest of the family. Maybe when I retire.

So. I have looked around, and so far my favourite is the Leonberger. Big, furry and friendly. The only downside is they cost £800+. Ouch!

More fascinating dog news to follow in March when we've been to Crufts. Isabel has started talking about getting a dog virtually every day. I have started noticing People With Dogs everywhere I go. I have not yet started accosting strangers in the park about their pets but, believe me, it's only a matter of time. I can't wait!

Comments:
Oh my god, that dog looks terrifying.
Well alice, it was nice knowing you...!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web counter